Landlady dismayed by Green Party's U-turn on Torriano
I was dismayed as were many of the other Torriano troops at the stand that the Green Party made in siding with the developers and overlooking the obvious flaws in the developers plans (People power as popular pub survives, H&H October 16). Probably ev
I was dismayed as were many of the other Torriano 'troops' at the stand that the Green Party made in siding with the developers and overlooking the obvious flaws in the developers' plans (People power as popular pub survives, H&H October 16).
Probably even more surprising is the fact that they visited the Torriano only two days after the hearing to "explain themselves." I thought this was a brave and honest thing to do, considering it had only been days since they'd condemned my family to the streets. However, by the end of the week they had decided to stick to their guns and save face as the by-election looms. How very disappointing.
I could just about understand their lack of knowledge of Torriano's recent history, or their lack of involvement in a high profile community campaign for six months at least, but then to back-track on their apology just shows fickleness.
Their action was the ultimate slap in the face to a community that has campaigned tirelessly for nearly a year against the odds to save just one of many pubs under threat. The battle is not over, so this would have been a good time for the Green Party to support us and get involved with this wonderful community which has displayed remarkable spirit in a time of adversity, instead of spreading doom and gloom for the future of the Torriano at a time of jubilation. If we all took the defeatist attitude shown by the Greens, nothing would ever get done.
You may also want to watch:
Landlady, Torriano, Kentish Town, NW5
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 8 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 9 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
- 10 'You're welcome here': Best pals, 12, make care packages for Afghan refugees