Lancashire Recipes - Philippa's Lancashire Tortilla
When I cooked this dish with Paul Martin, the presenter of Flog It! on BBC TV, he said it was ‘the best I’ve ever tasted!’ And, made with LuckyHens Rescue eggs, this one was pretty fab, too!
Ingredients (Serves one hungry person)
3 medium free-range eggs
1 medium onion, finely sliced (or a few snippings of the white of spring onions)
2 par-boiled potatoes, medium sliced – use a waxy, salad type of potato
You may also want to watch:
50-100g Lancashire cheese, grated
A drop of double cream
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 8 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 9 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 10 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
A knob of butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh herbs – parsley, basil, or thyme
For a meaty versionAdd cooked, chopped sausages, 1-2 per tortilla
1. Gently sauté the onions in the butter, until soft, but not browned.
2. Add the par-boiled – cook for about 12 minutes – potatoes to the pan, and mix together with the onions. Add the sausages, here, if using.
3. Warm through to finish cooking the potatoes.
4. In a jug, mix together the eggs, black pepper to taste, and a little cream to loosen the mixture. Don’t add salt at this stage as there’s salt in cheese.
5. Turn up the heat up and add all the egg mixture, then turn the heat down to medium.
6. Resist the urge to fiddle at this point! Let the edges of the tortilla set, as it does, run the liquid mixture round the edges of the pan.
7. Although the edges of the tortilla will be virtually cooked, there will be pools of partially cooked egg, use a spatula to gently open the areas, letting the runny egg go under the set tortilla to cook it.
8. Add your favourite cheese and fold the tortilla to melt the cheese. You can vary the dish every time you make it – sun-dried tomato cheese, or chilli Lancashire cheese with torn basil leaves will give a Mediterranean flavour, while tasty Lancashire cheese and chopped parsley gives a more traditional finish.
Serve with dressed salad leaves, or with baked beans and crusty bread.