Labour win general election in Hampstead and Kilburn and Holborn and St Pancras
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Labour’s Tulip Siddiq won a nailbiting general election victory in Hampstead and Kilburn, the most marginal seat in mainland Britain in 2010, and Sir Keir Starmer increased Labour’s majority in Holborn and St Pancras by a stunning 7,000 votes.
Ms Siddiq beat Tory candidate Simon Marcus by 1,138 votes to be elected Hampstead and Kilburn MP in place of retired Glenda Jackson.
It was a marked increase in the gap between Labour and the Tories in 2010 when just 42 votes separated them.
Ms Siddiq was elected with 44 per cent of the vote (23,977 votes) while Mr Marcus finished second with 42 per cent of votes (22,839).
Maajid Nawaz finished third for the Liberal Democrats with 3,039 votes.
You may also want to watch:
In Holborn and St Pancras, Labour’s Sir Keir Starmer held onto the seat vacated by retired veteran Frank Dobson and enhanced his party’s majority from 2010 by 7,000 votes by polling 29,062 votes.
Conservative candidate Will Blair came second with 12,014 votes and Green Party leader Natalie Bennett (7,013 votes) beat the Liberal Democrat candidate Jill Fraser (3,555) to third.
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 4 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 5 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 6 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
The results for Hampstead and Kilburn in full:
Tulip Siddiq (elected)
UK Independence Party
The Holborn and St Pancras results in full:
Sir Keir Starmer
The Conservative Party
UK Independence Party
Cannabis is Safer than Alcohol
Animal Welfare Party
For socialism, Against austerity and war