Labour Party is in a spin over Swiss Cottage Academy plan
The Labour Party has got itself into all sorts of trouble over Camden s academy in Swiss Cottage. High profile people like Fiona Millar and Frank Dobson MP oppose academies on purely ideological grounds, whilst nationally their party is pushing ahead to b
The Labour Party has got itself into all sorts of trouble over Camden's academy in Swiss Cottage. High profile people like Fiona Millar and Frank Dobson MP oppose academies on purely ideological grounds, whilst nationally their party is pushing ahead to build more of them through the 'Building Schools for the Future' programme.
And the local MP, Glenda Jackson, has said nothing to welcome a school offering a Camden education to hundreds more of her constituents.
These Camden Labourites are at war with their own government and chose to fight this battle on the streets of the borough, not apparently worrying that in the process they might deny Camden children the secondary school that they so desperately need. In their years in power, they were happy to close a secondary school and open none.
They have used Camden's plans for a UCL-sponsored secondary school as a way to strike out at national education policy. Over the past two years they've fought tooth and nail and used every trick in the book to try to stop it from going ahead. Their judicial review was just the latest ploy - aiming to stop not just our school but many others up and down the country.
Last week their judicial review wasn't just thrown out, it was comprehensively torn apart by the judge. It's now clear to everyone that this was a politically inspired waste of the taxpayer's money.
Many Camden parents will be very grateful that it failed.
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 The most expensive homes sold in Camden in November 2021
- 5 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 6 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 7 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 8 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club