Labour candidates challenge any publicity for BNP in election run-in
We are writing to express our collective dismay at the decision of Archant to allow the BNP to advertise in their titles. This comes just a week after one of the BNP s most senior members was forced to stand down after claiming that rape is simply sex .
We are writing to express our collective dismay at the decision of Archant to allow the BNP to advertise in their titles. This comes just a week after one of the BNP's most senior members was forced to stand down after claiming that rape is 'simply sex'.
As your readers may be aware, the BNP are dangerously close to gaining a seat on the London Assembly. In 2004 they were just 0.2% short and any publicity at this stage of the election campaign could tip them over the 5% threshold required.
London's strength as a world-class city for business and enterprise - where every Londoner can share in the city's success and be who they want to be - is built on its diversity . There are 300 languages spoken in London's schools with every faith and nationality all living side by side. The BNP has no place here.
If the racist party win a seat or seats on the Assembly, it will be the British far-right's biggest ever electoral success. It would be a disgrace for one of the most united and ethnically diverse cities in the world.
You may also want to watch:
It is therefore crucial that every Londoner votes on May 1st as the higher the turnout, the more votes the BNP will need to reach the 5% threshold.
Regardless of who enters City Hall as Mayor in two weeks time, let's make sure they are not followed by any BNP Assembly Members. Racism, hatred and mysoginy have no place in our capital and should have no place in its newspapers.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 7 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 8 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute
(London Labour GLA candidates)