Hampstead restaurant gives fresh meals to Royal Free and Whittington staff
- Credit: KOJO
A Hampstead restaurant is giving plant-based meals to NHS staff working on the Covid frontline.
KOJO restaurant, based in Rosslyn Hill, is donating fresh food to the Royal Free and Whittington hospitals. It provided 241 meals between January 21 to 30.
Managing director Alina Gromova-Jones said: “We know what kind of a strain the NHS is under. It’s our way of giving back to them for their hard work and efforts and everything that they do for us.
“We like to say, look after those who look after us.”
One of the “signature” dishes delivered to health workers is known as the “NHS hero veg rice bowl”, which contains tender spring broccoli, beetroot, mango and kimchi served with rice.
You may also want to watch:
Alina said: “We see on social media a lot of NHS staff reaching out explaining what kind of conditions they are under and we can only imagine what they must be going through, the stress of what they see, the long hours.
“Because of this, maybe they weren’t reaching for the healthy meal option.
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 8 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 9 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
“It’s an honour to be able to give something back. KOJO can power our NHS staff with plant-based meals and we see how they thrive.”
KOJO’s scheme, which is funded by the restaurant and the public, is looking to expand to cover carers and the wider NHS community, as well as a new project to provide meals to homeless people in London.
A JustGiving page has been set up to encourage donations towards the project, which is nearly halfway towards its target of £10,000.
KOJO is open for takeaway at 32-34 Rosslyn Hill, Hampstead, London NW3 1NH.