Hampstead restaurant gives fresh meals to Royal Free and Whittington staff
- Credit: KOJO
A Hampstead restaurant is giving plant-based meals to NHS staff working on the Covid frontline.
KOJO restaurant, based in Rosslyn Hill, is donating fresh food to the Royal Free and Whittington hospitals. It provided 241 meals between January 21 to 30.
Managing director Alina Gromova-Jones said: “We know what kind of a strain the NHS is under. It’s our way of giving back to them for their hard work and efforts and everything that they do for us.
“We like to say, look after those who look after us.”
One of the “signature” dishes delivered to health workers is known as the “NHS hero veg rice bowl”, which contains tender spring broccoli, beetroot, mango and kimchi served with rice.
Alina said: “We see on social media a lot of NHS staff reaching out explaining what kind of conditions they are under and we can only imagine what they must be going through, the stress of what they see, the long hours.
“Because of this, maybe they weren’t reaching for the healthy meal option.
- 1 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 2 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 3 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 4 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
- 5 Crouch End pub calls for dialogue over noise complaints
- 6 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 7 Man arrested after car overturns on Camden Road
- 8 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 9 Maida Vale victims named as alleged suspect released on bail
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: 'An astonishing choral display'
“It’s an honour to be able to give something back. KOJO can power our NHS staff with plant-based meals and we see how they thrive.”
KOJO’s scheme, which is funded by the restaurant and the public, is looking to expand to cover carers and the wider NHS community, as well as a new project to provide meals to homeless people in London.
A JustGiving page has been set up to encourage donations towards the project, which is nearly halfway towards its target of £10,000.
KOJO is open for takeaway at 32-34 Rosslyn Hill, Hampstead, London NW3 1NH.