King’s Troop to return to St John’s Wood a year after farewell parade
- Credit: Archant
The King’s Troop will parade through St John’s Wood High Street, returning to the area just over a year after their historic departure for new barracks.
The former occupants of St John’s Wood Barracks will be carrying out exercise manoeuvres in Gloucester Green, Regent’s Park, from 11.45am to 12.15pm on Wednesday.
The troop will then make a special detour to parade back down St John’s Wood High Street at around 12.30pm.
Their final appearance in February last year saw thousands of schoolchildren, war veterans, residents and shopkeepers line the street to bid them a fond farewell before they relocated to Woolwich in south London.
“There will be no special halt or ‘performance’, but it will no doubt remind us all of what we are missing,” said Clive Beecham, of the St John’s Wood High Street Traders’ Association.
You may also want to watch:
“A nice turn-out and welcome may induce them to try and re-visit us more often.”
Six horses from the troop took part in former prime minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral this week.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 3 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 4 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta expecting another tough game against Southampton
- 6 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 7 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead