King’s Troop to return to St John’s Wood a year after farewell parade
- Credit: Archant
The King’s Troop will parade through St John’s Wood High Street, returning to the area just over a year after their historic departure for new barracks.
The former occupants of St John’s Wood Barracks will be carrying out exercise manoeuvres in Gloucester Green, Regent’s Park, from 11.45am to 12.15pm on Wednesday.
The troop will then make a special detour to parade back down St John’s Wood High Street at around 12.30pm.
Their final appearance in February last year saw thousands of schoolchildren, war veterans, residents and shopkeepers line the street to bid them a fond farewell before they relocated to Woolwich in south London.
“There will be no special halt or ‘performance’, but it will no doubt remind us all of what we are missing,” said Clive Beecham, of the St John’s Wood High Street Traders’ Association.
You may also want to watch:
“A nice turn-out and welcome may induce them to try and re-visit us more often.”
Six horses from the troop took part in former prime minister Margaret Thatcher’s funeral this week.
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 4 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 6 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 7 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 8 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 9 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
- 10 New sixth form site for Westminster school gets go-ahead