Killer of Maida Vale headteacher Philip Lawrence freed
THE killer of headteacher Philip Lawrence has left prison 15 years after the Maida Vale school gate murder. Learco Chindamo, 29, was moved to a secure probation hostel in London this weekend after a decision last Wednesday to release him on parole. Source
THE killer of headteacher Philip Lawrence has left prison 15 years after the Maida Vale school gate murder.
Learco Chindamo, 29, was moved to a secure probation hostel in London this weekend after a decision last Wednesday to release him on parole.
Sources said he was freed from Hollesley Bay open prison in Suffolk after his probation arrangements were completed.
Chindamo was jailed indefinitely for the murder of Mr Lawrence outside St George's Roman Catholic School on Lanark Road, Maida Vale, in 1995.
You may also want to watch:
Father-of-four Mr Lawrence, 48, was fatally wounded after going to help a pupil who was being attacked by a gang.
Among the attackers was Chindamo, then 15 years old, who went on to brag about the killing hours later.
- 1 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 4 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 5 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 6 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 7 'Important for mental health': Royal Free commits to maintaining new gardens
- 8 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
He was convicted of the murder in October 1996, jailed indefinitely and ordered to serve a minimum of 12 years.
A judge ruled that he cannot be deported to Italy, where he was born, because it would breach his human rights as he has spent most of his life in Britain.