Kenwood Ladies’ Pond: Hundreds brave waters for annual New Year’s Day dip
- Credit: Archant
More than 300 hardy souls braved the “positively balmy” waters of Kenwood Ladies’ Pond onthe New Year yesterday.
Midday saw the traditional plunge begin, and although the waters were, at around six degrees, warmer than in some years past, the women who took part were still facing chilly conditions.
Kenwood Ladies’ Pond Association (KLPA) co-chair Nicky Mayhew told this newspaper: “It was a great day to start the year. We had people coming and going, and a peak of around 150 people in the water.”
Attendees were able to dry off and enjoy homemade cakes and mulled wine.
Nicky, who lives in Dartmouth Park and has been doing the New Year’s dip for 15 years, added: “It’s a treat, the only day we’re allowed to have a drink by the pond.”
You may also want to watch:
Fellow swimmer Alison Assiter said: “If you go all through the year you get used to the temperatures, it doesn’t feel too bad, and was even a degree warmer than the week before!”
- 1 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 4 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 5 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 6 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 7 Teen charged with killing 21-year-old man in Brent Cross
- 8 Seven things to do in Hampstead and Highgate after May 17
- 9 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 10 Five things we learned from Arsenal's Europa League exit