Kentucky Fried Chicken banners have had their chips
Crouch End s controversial Kentucky Fried Chicken banners are being removed. Haringey Council s revenue-earning banners came under fire from environmentalists objecting to their use in conservation areas when they were first put up two years ago, and hea
Crouch End's controversial Kentucky Fried Chicken banners are being removed.
Haringey Council's revenue-earning banners came under fire from environmentalists objecting to their use in conservation areas when they were first put up two years ago, and healthy eating campaigners weighed in more recently when the council hired the space out to the fast food outlet.
Previously the council had said the banners would only be used for environmentally-friendly advertising.
Liberal Democrats have consistently criticised Haringey Council for ''cluttering local areas with garish banners''.MP Lynne Featherstone also contacted KFC directly to ask them to abort their advertising campaign.
Cllr David Winskill, Crouch End, commented:
"These banners are gaudy, tasteless and unwanted in an area like Crouch End. This is a council obsessed with advertising with little thought of the impact on local communities and residents living in a conservation area."
- 1 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 2 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 3 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 Could Adama Traore be on his way to Tottenham?
- 7 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 8 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 9 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
- 10 Autistic TV presenter joins Hampstead pupils for 'most wonderful day'
"Future contracts should only allow appropriate advertising sensitive to the local area but banning the banners must be their first objective.