Kentish Town man believed to have died after inhaling lethal gas
A KENTISH town man is believed to have killed himself at his flat on Lady Somerset Road on Sunday night.
Police believe Matthew Allen, 59, died after inhaling large quantities of a potentially lethal gas.
His death is the third of a string of ‘chemical suicides’ to have been investigated by police over the last three weeks.
The first was a suicide pact in Braintree, Essex, in which a man and a woman who met on the internet gassed themselves in a car on September 20.
Then on October 1, two young women were found to have killed themselves using a similar method in a flat in Putney.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Allen’s body was found by his neighbour who said he had been dead for a couple of days before being discovered.
Detectives were called to the scene of the suicide shortly after 6.30pm.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 6 Arteta: Arsenal have 'responsibility' to qualify for Europe
- 7 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 8 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
Camden Police say Mr Allen’s death is not considered to be suspicious and it is currently being treated as unexplained.
No arrests have been made.
A police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at around 6.30pm on Sunday, October, 10 to an address on Lady Somerset Road, NW5, following concerns for the welfare of the resident at the property.
“Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and found a man, believed aged in his 50s.
“He was pronounced dead at the scene and his next of kin have been informed.”
Paramedics also attended the incident and entered the victim’s property dressed in protective biohazard suits.
A spokeswoman for the London Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 8.40pm on Sunday to reports of an incident in Lady Somerset Road.
“We sent one ambulance crew, a duty officer and a hazardous area response team to the scene but sadly one patient was already dead at the scene.”