Kentish Town man believed to have died after inhaling lethal gas
A KENTISH town man is believed to have killed himself at his flat on Lady Somerset Road on Sunday night.
Police believe Matthew Allen, 59, died after inhaling large quantities of a potentially lethal gas.
His death is the third of a string of ‘chemical suicides’ to have been investigated by police over the last three weeks.
The first was a suicide pact in Braintree, Essex, in which a man and a woman who met on the internet gassed themselves in a car on September 20.
Then on October 1, two young women were found to have killed themselves using a similar method in a flat in Putney.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Allen’s body was found by his neighbour who said he had been dead for a couple of days before being discovered.
Detectives were called to the scene of the suicide shortly after 6.30pm.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 3 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 4 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 7 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 8 Nursery to open in former Highgate Barclays building
- 9 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 10 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
Camden Police say Mr Allen’s death is not considered to be suspicious and it is currently being treated as unexplained.
No arrests have been made.
A police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at around 6.30pm on Sunday, October, 10 to an address on Lady Somerset Road, NW5, following concerns for the welfare of the resident at the property.
“Officers and the London Ambulance Service attended and found a man, believed aged in his 50s.
“He was pronounced dead at the scene and his next of kin have been informed.”
Paramedics also attended the incident and entered the victim’s property dressed in protective biohazard suits.
A spokeswoman for the London Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 8.40pm on Sunday to reports of an incident in Lady Somerset Road.
“We sent one ambulance crew, a duty officer and a hazardous area response team to the scene but sadly one patient was already dead at the scene.”