Kentish Town: Crowdfunding page started to help ‘friendly, smiley’ Stoly after deportation threat
- Credit: Archant
A supporter of Stojan “Stoly” Jankovic has set up a crowdfunding page to raise legal funds after the much-loved Kentish Town worker was threatened with deportation.
Stoly has worked at Earth Natural Foods, in Kentish Town Road, for 15 years and been in England for 26.
On Thursday, he was arrested after reporting to an immigration centre – something he has done once a month for many years – and told he could be deported as soon as tomorrow.
Stoly, who was born in Yugoslavia but fled to the UK when warfare that ultimately broke up his country was starting, said he would not have any “frames of reference” if he was sent back to the Balkans.
A petition with more than 20,000 signatures is due to be handed into the Home Office today in a bid to stop his deportation.
Now Richard Dent, a PhD student at Cambridge University, has started a crowdfunding page on gofundme.com in the hope of helping him pay for either legal or relocation costs.
The 41-year-old, who has been shopping at Earth for seven years, said: “Whenever I’ve been in the queue, I’ve always wanted to be served by Stoly.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 6 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 7 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 8 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
“He is just such a friendly, smiley, nice guy, and he’s got such a deep and reassuring voice.”
He added: “He’s part of the community. I was absolutely gutted when I heard.”
Speculating on the reason for Stoly’s arrest, Mr Dent said it was too soon to say.
But he added: “Is this anything to do with Brexit, with the new mood in the country? Probably not – it’s probably just a coincidence.
“We need to wait for more information.”
He has already raised £700.
Though there is a £2,000 target, he said he is looking for as much as possible to help Stoly.
The Home Office told the Ham&High it would not comment on individual cases.
To donate to the fund, visit gofundme.com/help-stoly-from-earth-natural-foods