Ken presides over Europe's most expensive transport system
Ian Hunt (H&H letters March 13) was effusive in his praise of Ken Livingstone s transport plans. His letter made made no mention of the fact that London s public transport is the most expensive in Europe, or of the madness of the free (sorry bendy ) bus
Ian Hunt (H&H letters March 13) was effusive in his praise of Ken Livingstone's transport plans. His letter made made no mention of the fact that London's public transport is the most expensive in Europe, or of the madness of the free (sorry 'bendy') bus fleet which clogs up traffic at junctions but does offer - in practice - free rides to those who get on through the rear entrance.
It ignores the fact that congestion costs the country £22billion per annum or that Ken has introduced phased traffic lights, causing vehicles to be stuck at red in all directions for an inordinate length of time, invariably with no pedestrian in sight wishing to cross.
No mention either of the madness of the western extension to the Congestion Zone - thus enabling all those in the west who formerly would have had to pay to enter the original zone to now get in free, and thus greatly increasing congestion in Central London.
No mention either of a recent report by TfL detailing the results of a trial allowing motorcycles in bus lanes showing "a safety benefit for all vulnerable road users".
You may also want to watch:
I have written to Ken on three occasions asking if he would allow motorcycles in bus lanes if re-elected but am still awaiting a reply. (Boris Johnson would, by the way).
I could go on, but I suggest that all Londoners read all manifestos (if they can manage to do so without losing the will to live) and simply make up their own minds.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 4 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 5 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Gravestone is a reminder that slavery left its mark in north London
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
I should state that I have never voted Tory and that I am not affiliated to any political party or campaign.
Redston Road, N8