'After these sacrifices you deserve better than this rotten government'
Sir Keir Starmer
- Credit: PA
Once again, I wish that I was writing my new year message to you in better circumstances. Reflecting on the last year isn’t an easy exercise. There have been many painful moments, particularly at the start of the year.
You did the right thing, and kept doing the right thing, even when this led to devastating personal consequences. The sacrifices that you made will have saved lives, and you deserve better than a rotten government who weren’t even prepared to follow their own rules.
I won’t ever forget my first visit to a vaccination centre, faces smiling beneath masks and the sheer relief of many people leaving the house for the first time in months. Since then, I’ve had the privilege of visiting many more to thank our amazing NHS staff, pharmacists and volunteers.
If you are still unsure about getting your first dose, it is never too late to come forward and I promise that you will be welcomed with open arms. Those of you still waiting to get your booster or second dose, please don’t delay.
As well as some difficult moments, there have been some pretty good parts of 2021. I’ve enjoyed getting out and about more, both in the constituency and across the country. Like many of you, I felt huge pride in our inspirational England team during the Euros, they were a joy to watch and gave so many of us special memories with our family and friends.
In September, I was finally able to address my first Labour Party Conference, setting out where I’d come from and my vision for our country.
I want to thank each and every one of you for the sacrifices that you have made over the last year to keep each other safe and protect our NHS. The support of my constituents means a huge amount to me and I hope that it won’t be too long until I’m able to write this message as your Prime Minister.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
If you have a problem and you think I can help, or would like to share your thoughts please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7388 7862.
Sir Keir Starmer is leader of the Labour Party and MP for Holborn and St Pancras.