Keeping Up Appearances star Josephine Tewson supports Swiss Cottage charity coffee morning
- Credit: Dieter Perry
A hotel receptionist who organised a coffee morning in memory of a close friend’s husband raised more than £200 for a cancer charity thanks to the patronage of a celebrity guest.
Keeping Up Appearances star Josephine Tewson, who played Elizabeth Warden in the hit sitcom, joined residents at the charity event in Swiss Cottage last Friday to nibble cake and drink large amounts of tea and coffee.
Ian Jackman, receptionist at the Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel in Adamson Road, organised the morning as part of the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning organised by Macmillan Cancer Support.
Thousands of people up and down the country held events at the exact same time to raise money for the charity.
The cause is close to Mr Jackman’s heart, as the husband of his close friend Josephine Kelly died from cancer last year.
You may also want to watch:
He said the Macmillan nurses were exceptional and when he saw an advertisement on television to hold local coffee mornings to support the charity, he quickly signed up.
“I’ve got the bug for it now, so I think we’ll definitely do another one next year,” the 55-year-old said.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 5 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 6 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 7 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 8 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 9 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 10 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
See page 23 for more on local World’s Biggest Coffee mornings.