Keeping Up Appearances star Josephine Tewson supports Swiss Cottage charity coffee morning
- Credit: Dieter Perry
A hotel receptionist who organised a coffee morning in memory of a close friend’s husband raised more than £200 for a cancer charity thanks to the patronage of a celebrity guest.
Keeping Up Appearances star Josephine Tewson, who played Elizabeth Warden in the hit sitcom, joined residents at the charity event in Swiss Cottage last Friday to nibble cake and drink large amounts of tea and coffee.
Ian Jackman, receptionist at the Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel in Adamson Road, organised the morning as part of the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning organised by Macmillan Cancer Support.
Thousands of people up and down the country held events at the exact same time to raise money for the charity.
The cause is close to Mr Jackman’s heart, as the husband of his close friend Josephine Kelly died from cancer last year.
He said the Macmillan nurses were exceptional and when he saw an advertisement on television to hold local coffee mornings to support the charity, he quickly signed up.
“I’ve got the bug for it now, so I think we’ll definitely do another one next year,” the 55-year-old said.
- 1 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 2 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 3 Community joy as Murphy's Yard application withdrawn
- 4 Toff's of Muswell Hill celebrates Fish and Chips Day with 50 free glasses of fizz
- 5 Duke's Head noise complaints committee hearing
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 8 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 9 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 10 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
See page 23 for more on local World’s Biggest Coffee mornings.