Keeping Up Appearances star Josephine Tewson supports Swiss Cottage charity coffee morning
- Credit: Dieter Perry
A hotel receptionist who organised a coffee morning in memory of a close friend’s husband raised more than £200 for a cancer charity thanks to the patronage of a celebrity guest.
Keeping Up Appearances star Josephine Tewson, who played Elizabeth Warden in the hit sitcom, joined residents at the charity event in Swiss Cottage last Friday to nibble cake and drink large amounts of tea and coffee.
Ian Jackman, receptionist at the Best Western Swiss Cottage Hotel in Adamson Road, organised the morning as part of the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning organised by Macmillan Cancer Support.
Thousands of people up and down the country held events at the exact same time to raise money for the charity.
The cause is close to Mr Jackman’s heart, as the husband of his close friend Josephine Kelly died from cancer last year.
You may also want to watch:
He said the Macmillan nurses were exceptional and when he saw an advertisement on television to hold local coffee mornings to support the charity, he quickly signed up.
“I’ve got the bug for it now, so I think we’ll definitely do another one next year,” the 55-year-old said.
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 7 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
See page 23 for more on local World’s Biggest Coffee mornings.