Keep Haringey Council out of graceful Woodside House
Having tired of the Civic Centre s built-in obsolescence and the soulless wasteland of concrete and engineering brick which they have made of Wood Green town centre, Haringey Council now wants to move into the graceful Woodside House, which they will undo
Having tired of the Civic Centre's built-in obsolescence and the soulless wasteland of concrete and engineering brick which they have made of Wood Green town centre, Haringey Council now wants to move into the graceful Woodside House, which they will undoubtedly treat with the same barbarity.
Years of official vandalism have seen dignified, solid buildings replaced by jarringly unlovely chimaeras of social engineering and incompetence.
Recently the arts-and-crafts Park Road hospital in Crouch End, still beautiful, weatherproof and welcoming after nearly a century, was dismantled to be replaced by a 'modern' sickness-processing factory that I very much doubt will make it to 20 years, before crumbling into a depressing slum.
Meanwhile, the council is engaged in vicious fights all over the borough with campaigners who are trying to prevent the similar mutilation of Wards Corner, St. Ann's Hospital and Alexandra Palace (amongst many others).
You may also want to watch:
Everyone in Haringey has to face the fact that the council is not a responsible curator of what is left of our borough's architectural heritage. Keep them out of Woodside Park.
- 1 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 2 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 3 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 6 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 7 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 8 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 9 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Muswell Hill, N10