Jose Mourinho defends Harry Kane following penalty award against Brighton
- Credit: PA
Jose Mourinho has leapt to the defence of Harry Kane over criticism for the way he won a penalty in Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Brighton.
Kane appeared to draw a foul from Adam Lallana to win the spot-kick, which he then converted.
But Spurs boss Mourinho launched an impassioned defence of the England striker during his press conference ahead of the Europa League tie against Ludogorets, claiming Lallana had been reckless.
“Harry Kane was in a position to control the ball and (Adam) Lallana came in a reckless fashion. Why are you saying it is clever?” Mourinho said.
“Clever is taking the ball and scoring a goal. It’s a foul.
“I thought it was a direct free-kick but VAR said it was inside the box because it was on the line. What are we talking about being clever?
“Harry Kane just wants to score goals. Lallana was reckless.
- 1 Calls to make road in front of a Highgate school safer
- 2 Barnet leader pledges council tax rebate and an end to outsourcing
- 3 Positives for Arsenal despite missing top four
- 4 Parliament Hill flower shop comes to pupils' rescue
- 5 Camden teacher's cycle ride to find a cure for daughter's 'sleeping beauty' syndrome
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 Harry Hill's Tony Blair rock opera premieres at Park Theatre
- 8 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 9 Nazanin was 'forced' to sign false confession by Iran
- 10 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
“Why are you speaking about us? Speak about Liverpool, Manchester United, City and others with ‘clever’ players and getting penalties. Don’t speak about Harry Kane.”