Jose Mourinho defends Harry Kane following penalty award against Brighton
- Credit: PA
Jose Mourinho has leapt to the defence of Harry Kane over criticism for the way he won a penalty in Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Brighton.
Kane appeared to draw a foul from Adam Lallana to win the spot-kick, which he then converted.
But Spurs boss Mourinho launched an impassioned defence of the England striker during his press conference ahead of the Europa League tie against Ludogorets, claiming Lallana had been reckless.
“Harry Kane was in a position to control the ball and (Adam) Lallana came in a reckless fashion. Why are you saying it is clever?” Mourinho said.
“Clever is taking the ball and scoring a goal. It’s a foul.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought it was a direct free-kick but VAR said it was inside the box because it was on the line. What are we talking about being clever?
“Harry Kane just wants to score goals. Lallana was reckless.
- 1 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 2 Swimmers launch legal challenge to charges at Hampstead Heath Ponds
- 3 Matt Hancock to give evidence at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 4 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 5 Brent Cross Shopping Centre stabbing victim named
- 6 Home of the week: Charming Victorian home for sale in Stroud Green
- 7 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 8 Tim Burton's former Primrose Hill home on the market for £20m
- 9 Porsche driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police
- 10 'Now we hope for the best' – independent traders in Muswell Hill
“Why are you speaking about us? Speak about Liverpool, Manchester United, City and others with ‘clever’ players and getting penalties. Don’t speak about Harry Kane.”