Jose Mourinho defends Harry Kane following penalty award against Brighton
- Credit: PA
Jose Mourinho has leapt to the defence of Harry Kane over criticism for the way he won a penalty in Tottenham’s 2-1 win over Brighton.
Kane appeared to draw a foul from Adam Lallana to win the spot-kick, which he then converted.
But Spurs boss Mourinho launched an impassioned defence of the England striker during his press conference ahead of the Europa League tie against Ludogorets, claiming Lallana had been reckless.
“Harry Kane was in a position to control the ball and (Adam) Lallana came in a reckless fashion. Why are you saying it is clever?” Mourinho said.
“Clever is taking the ball and scoring a goal. It’s a foul.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought it was a direct free-kick but VAR said it was inside the box because it was on the line. What are we talking about being clever?
“Harry Kane just wants to score goals. Lallana was reckless.
- 1 Famous Hampstead Heath love swan Mrs Newbie dies
- 2 'Feels like a runway': Hampstead residents call for LED lamp post change
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 'Victim-blaming': Disabled woman fears leaving flat after neighbour's abuse
- 5 Italian sandwich bar set to open in Hampstead phone box
- 6 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 7 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 8 Wine, cheese and caviar: New bar to open in South End Green
- 9 Top producer gives hit making masterclass
- 10 Prince William brings environmental Earthshot Prize ceremony to Ally Pally
“Why are you speaking about us? Speak about Liverpool, Manchester United, City and others with ‘clever’ players and getting penalties. Don’t speak about Harry Kane.”