Joe Strummer to be remembered at Kentish Town music night
A London event to mark the seventh anniversary of the death of Joe Strummer has been confirmed today for Tuesday 22nd December at The Flowerpot in Kentish Town. Promoting Strummerville – the Joe Strummer Foundation for New Music, prisons project Jail Gu
A London event to mark the seventh anniversary of the death of Joe Strummer has been confirmed today for Tuesday 22nd December at The Flowerpot in Kentish Town.
Promoting Strummerville - the Joe Strummer Foundation for New Music, prisons project Jail Guitar Doors and organised by Millitant Entertainment - the crew behind Glastonbury's Left Field stage, the night will be a celebration of the life, work and lasting influence of Joe Strummer.
The London show will be one of a whole number of events held all around the world marking the untimely death of Joe in 2002.
With a range of special guests soon to be announced the line up so far includes Sam Duckworth (Get Cape Wear Cape Fly!), Drew McConnell (Babyshambles and Helsinki), Ray Gange (star of Rude Boy) on the decks and the Guvnor's of Punk - Night of Treason playing the Clash classics with their customary very special guests.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be special showings of the Jail Guitar Doors movie, Breaking Rocks, and clips from the documentary The Last Night London Burned with unique footage of Joe's last ever London gig at Acton for the firefighters where he was reunited with Mick Jones.
Geoff Martin from Militant Entertainment said:
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 4 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 7 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 8 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
"The night will be a very special celebration of the life and work of Joe Strummer and his lasting influence today. The spirit of Joe is as strong today as it ever was and there's a whole army of us across the generations keeping the flame burning bright.