Jewish revellers 'run riot' in Golders Green
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused havoc . There were reports of fighting, firework throwing and general havoc as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annu
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused "havoc".
There were reports of "fighting, firework throwing and general havoc" as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annual Purim celebrations.
Purim festival commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people living throughout the ancient Persian Empire and is known for its rowdiness because it is the one time of year when Jewish tradition recommends drinking to excess.
The Ham&High understands two men were arrested on suspicion of affray on Saturday night.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers from the Jewish organisation the Community Security Trust (CST) helped to police the revelry along with officers from the Met.
A police source told the Ham&High they were taken by surprise by the shenanigans and will look to increase the police presence for next year's event.
- 1 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 6 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 7 Theatre review: Crouch End and Upminster collide in modern love story
- 8 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 9 'My theatre group saved my life on a Zoom call,' says amputee
- 10 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond