Jewish revellers 'run riot' in Golders Green
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused havoc . There were reports of fighting, firework throwing and general havoc as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annu
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused "havoc".
There were reports of "fighting, firework throwing and general havoc" as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annual Purim celebrations.
Purim festival commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people living throughout the ancient Persian Empire and is known for its rowdiness because it is the one time of year when Jewish tradition recommends drinking to excess.
The Ham&High understands two men were arrested on suspicion of affray on Saturday night.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers from the Jewish organisation the Community Security Trust (CST) helped to police the revelry along with officers from the Met.
A police source told the Ham&High they were taken by surprise by the shenanigans and will look to increase the police presence for next year's event.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 6 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 7 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 8 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath