Jewish revellers 'run riot' in Golders Green
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused havoc . There were reports of fighting, firework throwing and general havoc as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annu
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused "havoc".
There were reports of "fighting, firework throwing and general havoc" as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annual Purim celebrations.
Purim festival commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people living throughout the ancient Persian Empire and is known for its rowdiness because it is the one time of year when Jewish tradition recommends drinking to excess.
The Ham&High understands two men were arrested on suspicion of affray on Saturday night.
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers from the Jewish organisation the Community Security Trust (CST) helped to police the revelry along with officers from the Met.
A police source told the Ham&High they were taken by surprise by the shenanigans and will look to increase the police presence for next year's event.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 10 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'