Jewish revellers 'run riot' in Golders Green
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused havoc . There were reports of fighting, firework throwing and general havoc as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annu
POLICE were inundated with dozens of complaints in Golders Green at the weekend after Jewish revellers caused "havoc".
There were reports of "fighting, firework throwing and general havoc" as a crowd of around 300 people descended on the area for the annual Purim celebrations.
Purim festival commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish people living throughout the ancient Persian Empire and is known for its rowdiness because it is the one time of year when Jewish tradition recommends drinking to excess.
The Ham&High understands two men were arrested on suspicion of affray on Saturday night.
Volunteers from the Jewish organisation the Community Security Trust (CST) helped to police the revelry along with officers from the Met.
A police source told the Ham&High they were taken by surprise by the shenanigans and will look to increase the police presence for next year's event.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 6 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 7 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead