'Our pensioner group is needed even more after the pandemic'
Janet Shapiro, Hornsey Pensioners Action Group
- Credit: Janet Shapiro
A toe in the water for real live meeting of long-lost friends after 19 months.
Yes! we have been in regular contact by telephone and email, but there is no substitute for face-to-face conversations.
It was a start to have a picnic; the weather was merciful for our out-door meeting with other Haringey pensioner groups on Bank Holiday Saturday at Bruce Castle café. This was a relief and thoroughly enjoyable.
After nearly two years, Hornsey Pensioners Action Group plans a public meeting on September 15, 1.30pm at our original venue, Hornsey Parish Church Hall.
It will be great to meet our members again, but we particularly welcome new faces. Our pensioner group is needed, even more as we crawl our way out of the pandemic.
Mental Health is the topic for this public meeting, the title being ‘Mind over Matter - Depression?’ The presentation will be given from the speaker’s own experience.
We shall also have up to date information on how to get help with the mental health problems that you, or your friends, may be struggling with. As usual, we shall welcome contributions from the floor.
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 3 'Ruining our vibe': Muswell Hill coffee shop divides community opinion
- 4 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 5 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 6 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 7 Discover north London’s ‘lost’ synagogue
- 8 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 9 Autistic TV presenter joins Hampstead pupils for 'most wonderful day'
- 10 Covid patient numbers levelling out after Christmas rise, data suggests
Membership of our group is open to all over 50, but younger folk are always welcome at meetings.
Topics for our next meetings will be ‘Health Benefits of Haringey’s Open Spaces’ on October 20, and ‘Avoid Being Scammed’ on November 17 - more information at the Hornsey Pensioners Action website.