Jailed Hampstead mum Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s ordeal continues with second trial date set
- Credit: Archant
Jailed Hampstead mum Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is being dragged back to court on December 10.
Speaking to the Ham&High the 38-year-old media charity worker’s husband Richard Ratcliffe said Nazanin was told yesterday by Iranian deputy prosecutor Haji Moradi her case would be heard before the same judge who originally heard her trial.
The British-Iranian dual national was seized at Tehran airport returning from a family holiday in April last year on trumped up charges of plotting the overthrow of the Iranian regime.
She now faces a second trial on the same charges – illegal under Iranian and British law.
Before the news was received Mr Ratcliffe – who had demanded he join British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson on a visit to the Middle East country – was sent a message today from the former Mayor of London saying his thoughts were with Nazanin and her family on the 600th day of her imprisonment.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ratcliffe’s reply to Johnson said he hoped he would manage to get to Iran in time to attend his wife’s trial. He told the Ham&High he would be writing to the Iranian embassy in London to follow up on his visa application and to tell them he would like to attend Nazanin’s trial.
On the latest development in his wife’s ordeal, Mr Ratcliffe said: “Nazanin was left feeling angry and bewildered. The trial is likely to go ahead unless the foreign secretary intervenes. He said before he would leave no stone unturned.”
- 1 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 2 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 7 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 8 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 9 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
Speaking about Nazanin – who was diagnosed with advanced depression by a prison pyschiatrist this week – he added: “It’s been such a roller-coaster over the last two weeks. It’s obviously really hard to know what’s going on and to keep calm given how fragile she is.”
Mr Ratcliffe also confirmed he will join a march calling for Nazanin’s release this Saturday organised by Facebook group Pramstead and supported by the Ham&High.
Actress Emma Thomspon is also set to join the second march which takes place on Saturday at 10:30am on West End Green, near the Emmanuel Church.