Jail for smuggler who sent cocaine to Camden
A man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his part in a plot to smuggle cocaine to the UK concealed as mascara. A package of 36 mascara tubes containing 900 grams of the drug was sent to an address in Camden Street from French Guyana in January
A man has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his part in a plot to smuggle cocaine to the UK concealed as mascara.
A package of 36 mascara tubes containing 900 grams of the drug was sent to an address in Camden Street from French Guyana in January last year.
After it was apprehended by customs and excise Camden police investigated its destination and were able to arrest and charge 39-year-old Alexandra Edmund.
Speaking about the sentencing at Det Supt Jeremy Burton said: "The severity of this sentence and Camden Police's ongoing commitment to tackling drugs will send a strong message to those who deal, sell or use classified drugs on Camden Borough. Together with our community safety partnership colleagues, we will continue to reduce crime and anti social behaviour by identifying, targeting and arresting offenders who prey on the vulnerable or blight communities through criminality."
The smuggler's case was heard at Blackfriars Crown Court by Judge Cherie Booth, who likened it to a film script.
However, on sentencing Edmund she warned that the actions and consequences of the plot were far from Hollywood glamour.
- 1 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 2 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 3 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 4 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 5 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 6 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 7 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 8 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 9 Fears over large nitrous oxide cannisters found in Gospel Oak
- 10 Hampstead to welcome boho women's lifestyle brand Free People
The package was sent to Camden Street from French Guyana in January last year.
Police allowed the package to go forward in the post and a collection card was left at the address asking its recipient to pick it up from the depot.
Edmund went to collect it and was arrested on his departure with the mascara in hand.
He pleaded guilty to the charge of evading rules against drug importing in court.
He will also be deported after seeing out his prison sentence.