It's true - holidays can give you a headache
PUBLISHED: 10:35 27 July 2009 | UPDATED: 16:19 07 September 2010
86% of people who ve had a migraine in the past 12 months experienced an attack whilst on holiday. Of those, one in five (21%) say they usually or always suffer from a migraine whilst away. The research, conducted by the makers of migraine treatment
86% of people who've had a migraine in the past 12 months experienced an attack whilst on holiday. Of those, one in five (21%) say they 'usually' or 'always' suffer from a migraine whilst away.
The research, conducted by the makers of migraine treatment Imigran Recovery, also looked at how migraines can disrupt and ruin people's holiday.
* 58% missed out on the sunshine and holiday activities
* 57% missing out on time with family
* 57% felt they let other people down
Independent life coach Gladeana McMahon, gives her top three tips for managing your migraines on holiday:
* Stress can be a migraine trigger so put important documents in your travel bag the night before you depart to avoid a last minute panic on the day.
* Leave for the airport at least an hour before you think you need to. Better to have a coffee in peace than arrive too late for your flight or end up feeling anxious.
* Changes in routine such as getting up and going to bed later, or a change of time zones can trigger a migraine so don't forget to pack your migraine medication.
Imigran Recovery was the first migraine treatment available from the pharmacy without prescription. It is part of the class of drugs known as triptans. Imigran Recovery contains sumatriptan, which unlike painkillers, acts on the root cause of the migraine to relieve the four main symptoms; headache, nausea, and sensitivity to light or sound. Just one tablet can start to offer relief from migraine headache in around 30 minutes to help sufferers get on with their day to day life.
30 year old migraine sufferer Rebecca Fergusson from London explains how she no longer dreads going on holidays:
"Holidays were often ruined by my migraines. The hot weather affected me a lot and as a result I often had a migraine for the first few days of being away. Imigran Recovery can give me fast migraine headache relief to help me enjoy my holiday."
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.