It may be redundant, but Tollgate House is worth saving
I encountered a distinct sense of déjà vu and no surprises when reading your edition of August 2. The Heath & Hamstead Society have been trying to bring Camden s attention to the pitiful state of the Tollgate House at the Spaniards Inn for years and with
I encountered a distinct sense of déjà vu and no surprises when reading your edition of August 2. The Heath & Hamstead Society have been trying to bring Camden's attention to the pitiful state of the Tollgate House at the Spaniards Inn for years and with no success.
We have chased them from pillar to post and achieved nothing, whilst being passed from one officer to another and back again, being fed a litany of stories and excuses.
Meanwhile this historic listed building has been allowed to slip into further decay. It is currently registered Category C. on the English Heritage 'at risk' register and with no help in site.
Whilst I fully understand that an awkward old building, which has no relevant use in the 21st century, is not a high priority, it would be so sad to see this building steeped in local history and legend disintegrate any further. Local landmarks such as this offer us history in bite-size portions for a new generation too engage with and enjoy. So let's save the Tollgate.
You may also want to watch:
Heath & Hampstead Society
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 7 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again