Is Alexis Rowell motivated by eco or ego, asks Mike Greene
Cllr Alexis Rowell s letter (Mike Greene should act now to help save planet, H&H letters April 24) confirms once again that while his mission is to save the world, he cares little for the people of Camden. The issue on which he hangs his argument, and po
Cllr Alexis Rowell's letter (Mike Greene should act now to help save planet, H&H letters April 24) confirms once again that while his mission is to save the world, he cares little for the people of Camden.
The issue on which he hangs his argument, and possibly Camden's council taxpayers too, is a technical one. The recent alterations to the London Plan could have included either a statement that boroughs should require new developments to provide 20 per cent of their energy from renewable sources (Camden currently insists on 10 per cent); or it could have said that when boroughs introduce their replacement planning policies they should include this requirement.
In the event, the London Planners chose the latter and that is why, apart from Camden's own wish to do this anyway, we hope to do just that - to introduce the requirement in our new planning documents at the earliest opportunity
Cllr Rowell suggests that, even without any guidance from the Government Office, we should act as if the London Plan was written differently.
He has been advised by legal experts both inside and outside the council that his proposal to ignore the wording, and instead pretend it is what he wants to hear, would likely lead to successful developer appeals against the council - costing its taxpayers hundreds of thousands of pounds.
So, not content with trying to force Camden residents to stop eating meat, he now wants to risk landing them with a huge bill.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 3 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 4 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 5 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 6 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 7 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 8 West Hampstead woman's kids' clothes success story
- 9 Hampstead woman tells tribunal of alleged racist discrimination
- 10 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
Once again he has submitted a letter as 'Chair of Camden's Sustainability Task Force' without bothering to consult the other members of the group. Once again he fails to recognise that others too subscribe to the green agenda, but do so based on reality and practicality rather than wishful thinking.
And once again he has chosen to take private conversations and try to exploit them in public. No wonder so many people, of all political persuasions, are starting to suggest that Cllr Rowell's real motivator is ego, rather than eco.
Cllr Mike Greene
(Cons) Executive Member
Environment, Camden Council