Hampstead Heath wildlife in pictures: 10 cygnets hatch on Heath pond
- Credit: Archant
Over the last week ten cygnets have hatched on Hampstead No. 1 Pond – and we’ve seen a number of delightful pictures of the young family taking to the water on their first outings.
On Monday the first hatched, and over the next day a further four emerged.
Another five then followed their siblings.
This is one of the most successful breeding seasons the swans on the Heath have had in recent memory.
Birdlover and member of the Heath and Hampstead Society's Heath Committee Ron Vester told this newspaper: "This is the fifth year in a row they have hatched in the very same spot.
You may also want to watch:
"The first hatched at about one in the afternoon on Monday, and four more followed."
"The pen [mother] is looking well, she's protecting them and the cob's standing guard."
- 1 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
Just this weekend, the swans successfully fought off a dog who threatened the eggs.
Ron said: "It jumped the fence, but luckily they fought back."
Do you have pictures of the Heath swans, or the gamut of other wonderful wildlife there? Send them to Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk and we could publish the best online or on our Heathwatch page.