Hampstead Heath wildlife in pictures: 10 cygnets hatch on Heath pond
- Credit: Archant
Over the last week ten cygnets have hatched on Hampstead No. 1 Pond – and we’ve seen a number of delightful pictures of the young family taking to the water on their first outings.
On Monday the first hatched, and over the next day a further four emerged.
Another five then followed their siblings.
This is one of the most successful breeding seasons the swans on the Heath have had in recent memory.
Birdlover and member of the Heath and Hampstead Society's Heath Committee Ron Vester told this newspaper: "This is the fifth year in a row they have hatched in the very same spot.
You may also want to watch:
"The first hatched at about one in the afternoon on Monday, and four more followed."
"The pen [mother] is looking well, she's protecting them and the cob's standing guard."
- 1 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 2 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 3 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 6 Mikel Arteta 'excited' by Arsenal's appointment of Richard Garlick
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Housing: Billionaire owner of 'squalid shoeboxes' must 'up its game'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Ice cream shop supporting freelancers opens in Primose Hill
Just this weekend, the swans successfully fought off a dog who threatened the eggs.
Ron said: "It jumped the fence, but luckily they fought back."
Do you have pictures of the Heath swans, or the gamut of other wonderful wildlife there? Send them to Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk and we could publish the best online or on our Heathwatch page.