Hampstead Heath wildlife in pictures: 10 cygnets hatch on Heath pond
- Credit: Archant
Over the last week ten cygnets have hatched on Hampstead No. 1 Pond – and we’ve seen a number of delightful pictures of the young family taking to the water on their first outings.
On Monday the first hatched, and over the next day a further four emerged.
Another five then followed their siblings.
This is one of the most successful breeding seasons the swans on the Heath have had in recent memory.
Birdlover and member of the Heath and Hampstead Society's Heath Committee Ron Vester told this newspaper: "This is the fifth year in a row they have hatched in the very same spot.
"The first hatched at about one in the afternoon on Monday, and four more followed."
"The pen [mother] is looking well, she's protecting them and the cob's standing guard."
- 1 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 4 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Calls for removal of South End Green phone box
- 8 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 10 Belsize Village restaurant hires young Ukrainian refugee
Just this weekend, the swans successfully fought off a dog who threatened the eggs.
Ron said: "It jumped the fence, but luckily they fought back."
Do you have pictures of the Heath swans, or the gamut of other wonderful wildlife there? Send them to Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk and we could publish the best online or on our Heathwatch page.