Hampstead Heath wildlife in pictures: 10 cygnets hatch on Heath pond
- Credit: Archant
Over the last week ten cygnets have hatched on Hampstead No. 1 Pond – and we’ve seen a number of delightful pictures of the young family taking to the water on their first outings.
On Monday the first hatched, and over the next day a further four emerged.
Another five then followed their siblings.
This is one of the most successful breeding seasons the swans on the Heath have had in recent memory.
Birdlover and member of the Heath and Hampstead Society's Heath Committee Ron Vester told this newspaper: "This is the fifth year in a row they have hatched in the very same spot.
You may also want to watch:
"The first hatched at about one in the afternoon on Monday, and four more followed."
"The pen [mother] is looking well, she's protecting them and the cob's standing guard."
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 6 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 7 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 10 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
Just this weekend, the swans successfully fought off a dog who threatened the eggs.
Ron said: "It jumped the fence, but luckily they fought back."
Do you have pictures of the Heath swans, or the gamut of other wonderful wildlife there? Send them to Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk and we could publish the best online or on our Heathwatch page.