Iconic Kentish Town store Blustons closes its doors for the last time today
- Credit: Archant
Today, iconic women’s clothes store Blustons will be closing its doors for the last time.
It marks more than 80 years in Kentish Town and the announcement, made just over two weeks ago, has brought shock and sadness to many in the area.
The shop in Kentish Town Road has become an institution for the high street, surviving war, various booms and busts and the rapid growth of online shopping.
Shop owner Michael Albert is retiring and many have contacted the Ham&High to express their sadness at his departure.
But most talked about since the announcement has been that dress – the red polka dot little number that has stood in the front window for years, becoming an icon itself.
You may also want to watch:
And as a thank you to his customers and to the local community that supported him all these years, Michael donated the dress to the Ham&High to give away to one very lucky reader.
The rules were simple – answer the question “why do you deserve the red polka dot dress?”
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 8 London Marathon and charity event in aid of Diabetes UK
- 9 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 10 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
The winner, chosen last week by Ham&High editor-in-chief Geoff Martin, was Lizzy Chater.
Tweeting us a picture of herself as a young girl wearing a similar red polka-dot dress, she wrote: “I would absolutely love the red spotty dress from Blustons as I haven’t had such a cute dress for 40 years!”
Winning the dress on her 45th birthday, the Highgate resident said: “I’ve often walked past Blustons eyeing that dress. It’s a real shame stores like that are disappearing from our high streets.
“But I’m thrilled to win and very grateful. It will be perfect for the summer.”