‘I’m a diva like Boy George’ says Mum turned popstar Babs Savage
- Credit: Archant
My Hampstead: Singer Babs Savage, lives in Hampstead with her three children from her former marriage to Culture Club drummer Jon Moss. She talks community spirit, cheaper business rates and Hampstead Heath
After forging a successful career as an acupuncturist, Babs has released her first single, La La, which stormed into the charts. She has also formed the record label Savage Entertainment and recorded more songs with US producer Rickey Rainbow.
What brought you to Hampstead? I fell in love with Hampstead as a teenager and my feelings haven’t changed. It’s a beautiful village with a community spirit and the most amazing Heath. It has its own individual heartbeat and it’s right in the middle of London.
What is your favourite thing about Hampstead? I love Hampstead Heath the most. It’s an important part of my family’s life and it’s somewhere we all like to be together.
You have a day off to spend in Hampstead. What would you do? I would do a Barretique workout class followed by coffee at The Coffee Cup. Then I would take the dog for a walk on the Heath and have lunch at Le Gaffe, in Heath Street. I would then have a body wrap and massage in the Pharm Spa, watch a film at the Everyman and finish my day by having dinner at the Wells Tavern, in Well Walk.
You may also want to watch:
What would you like to see changed in Hampstead? I would like to see cheaper rates for local businesses that would encourage independent people to open more unique shops. We also need more bars and pubs to liven it up at night. Bring back the Rosslyn!
As editor of the Ham&High what would you like to see reported? I would investigate exactly why the Heath is being ripped to shreds. The plans don’t make sense, unless myself and everyone I know can’t read properly.
- 1 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 2 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actress dies aged 52
- 3 Hampstead Ballet School star wins place at Bolshoi academy in Moscow
- 4 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 5 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 6 Slavia Prague v Arsenal: Five Things We Learned
- 7 Hampstead robberies: Inside the police chase which caught 8 violent criminals
- 8 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 9 Myanmar ambassador pleads for help from Hampstead doorstep
- 10 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
A film is set to be made about your life. Who would you choose to play you and why? Boy George because he, too, is a diva – like me.
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met? Emma Thompson is one of the most inspiring people I’ve ever known. She is a highly accomplished and skilled actor, author, and director who has the ability to both connect and inspire her audience and anyone in person. Her compassion and spirit is generous and genuine. She is a woman of integrity.
What is the secret to your chart success? It’s down to determination, great people supporting me and a hot single.
Babs Savage was in conversation with Emily Banks