Hundreds join football legend Gary Lineker in UCLH Christmas light switch-on
- Credit: Archant
Match of the Day host and former England striker Gary Lineker joined hundreds of patients, visitors and their families to switch on this year’s Christmas tree lights at the University College London Hospital (UCLH) in Euston Road on Tuesday afternoon.
The sports presenter and second highest England goal-scorer of all time was guest of honour at the annual open event, which featured interactive displays, free health checks and a demonstration of the hospital’s state-of-the-art robotic surgeon.
Mr Lineker said: “It’s a great pleasure to be here.
“It’s a hospital I have frequented on many occasions – sometimes as a visitor and sometimes to the radiotherapy department where I am involved with the Fight for Life charity.
“Everything I touch which involves technology tends not to work but surely not even a former footballer can mess this up!”
You may also want to watch:
Organisers were said to be overjoyed with the afternoon.
Richard Murley, UCLH chairman, said: “This year has to be the most popular open event we have ever hosted and on behalf of UCLH I would like to thank Gary Lineker for doing such a wonderful job.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 6 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
“It is always a fantastic way to celebrate the start of the festive season and as always our staff did not let us down with some brilliant stands demonstrating the work they do.”