Hundreds join football legend Gary Lineker in UCLH Christmas light switch-on
- Credit: Archant
Match of the Day host and former England striker Gary Lineker joined hundreds of patients, visitors and their families to switch on this year’s Christmas tree lights at the University College London Hospital (UCLH) in Euston Road on Tuesday afternoon.
The sports presenter and second highest England goal-scorer of all time was guest of honour at the annual open event, which featured interactive displays, free health checks and a demonstration of the hospital’s state-of-the-art robotic surgeon.
Mr Lineker said: “It’s a great pleasure to be here.
“It’s a hospital I have frequented on many occasions – sometimes as a visitor and sometimes to the radiotherapy department where I am involved with the Fight for Life charity.
“Everything I touch which involves technology tends not to work but surely not even a former footballer can mess this up!”
You may also want to watch:
Organisers were said to be overjoyed with the afternoon.
Richard Murley, UCLH chairman, said: “This year has to be the most popular open event we have ever hosted and on behalf of UCLH I would like to thank Gary Lineker for doing such a wonderful job.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 3 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 4 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 5 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 6 Ozil set for Arsenal exit
- 7 More goals, less mistakes needed says Spurs boss Mourinho
- 8 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing
“It is always a fantastic way to celebrate the start of the festive season and as always our staff did not let us down with some brilliant stands demonstrating the work they do.”