Huge water slide ‘will not be coming to Hampstead Heath’
- Credit: Archant
Plans to bring an enormous water slide to Hampstead Heath this summer have received so much support from the public, organisers say they’ve had to abandon the idea.
Events company University Socials last week announced its intention to bring the “epic” slip-and-slide to the Heath after being inspired by a similar project in Bristol which saw a 300ft long water slide run down a sloped street during the summer last year.
The firm, which organises events for students in a number of UK cities, created an event page on Facebook, saying: “After seeing the epic street slide in Bristol we are determined to make London proud and host a completely free event on Hampstead Heath this summer.
“As we’re all aware, British weather is rather unpredictable so we’re having to be flexible on the date, but most probably [it will be] in late July/early August.”
But after some 41,000 people backed their idea, the company suggested the event may have got out of control and could be too big for the Heath.
Edward Ash, the firm’s events promoter, told the Evening Standard: “The response was phenomenal. Unfortunately the Heath won’t be possible but we are scoping out different venues.”
It said on its Facebook page that the company is now “in talks with an incredible country house on the outskirts of London”.
The City of London Corporation, which manages the Heath, said it hadn’t received any application seeking permission for the slide so could not comment on why the idea was abandoned.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 3 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 4 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 5 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 6 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 7 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 9 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 10 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
Paul Maskell, City of London Corporation leisure and events manager at Hampstead Heath, said: “Every Heath event is assessed on an individual basis. The key for us is always to find the right balance between the diverse needs of the Heath’s many different user groups, whether they are dog walkers, picnickers, or thrill seekers.”