‘HS2 is Frankenstein’s monster’: Councillors slam ‘unacceptable’ disruption to Camden residents
- Credit: Archant
Councillors from all sides of the chamber were united in criticism of HS2 at Camden Council on Monday night.
A motion calling on HS2 and the Department for Transport to “intervene” to protect residents from the impact of construction was passed unanimously.
Cllr Nash Ali (Lab, Regent’s Park) told the full council meeting his ward “looks like a bomb site”, while planning chief Cllr Danny Beales said it looked like HS2 Ltd would fail to meet “the bare minimum of assurances we were given” about the disruption caused by noise and construction dust and debris.
Cllr Heather Johnson proposed the motion. She told the council: “HS2 may believe they are delivering important infrastructure for the nation, but that should not be at the detriment of our residents.”
The motion was backed by Conservative Cllr Oliver Cooper, Lib Dem Cllr Tom Simon, and Green Party rep Cllr Sian Berry.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Cooper called HS2 “Frankenstein’s monster” and said the scheme needed to be either cancelled or see “the toughest and most stringent” measures possible put in place to protect people living in its wake.
Earlier in the autumn Camden brought forward an unprecedented scheme moving affected residents on the Regent’s Park Estate up the council housing waiting list.
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 6 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 7 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 8 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 9 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time