Horse Talk: Ocovango can shock Dawn Approach in Investec Derby at Epsom
French raider Ocovango is fancied to exploit any chinks in the armour of hot favourite Dawn Approach and secure victory in the Investec Derby at Epsom on Saturday.
Dawn Approach is unbeaten in seven starts and looked better than ever when racing to a five-length victory in the 2,000 Guineas on his sole start as a three-year-old.
But all of those victories have been at a mile or less and, although his sire New Approach won the 2008 Derby, he is not certain to get the mile and a half distance of Saturday’s race.
Yet Ocovango, who is trained at Chantilly by Andre Fabre, is sure to stay and is unbeaten in three starts. His most recent success came in a Group 2 at St Cloud – a race that his trainer also used as a stepping stone for his 2011 Derby winner Pour Moi.
Ocovango looks great value at 8-1 and is taken to beat Dawn Approach with Dante Stakes winner Libertarian (18-1) third. Mirsaale (100-1) is the best outsider.
You may also want to watch:
The Derby is preceded by the Investec Oaks tomorrow (Friday), which can go to the Aidan O’Brien-trained Moth – an eye-catching third in the 1,000 Guineas on May 5.
Her form has been franked by the victory of second-placed Just The Judge in the Irish 1,000 Guineas on Sunday, and she is also fancied to prevail from Banoffee and Liber Nauticus.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 6 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 7 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
Elsewhere, St Nicholas Abbey can secure a hat-trick of victories in the Coronation Cup on Saturday.
Simon Jackson is a freelance racing journalist based in north west London. He can be reached at email@example.com for press and PR enquiries, or racing/betting related news stories and features.