Horse Talk: Estimate can maintain unbeaten record at Ascot in Gold Cup
The Sir Michael Stoute-trained four-year-old has won three of her six starts at distances of up to two miles – including a brace of victories at Ascot, where she is expected to handle the extra four furlongs of the Gold Cup at 3.45pm.
Estimate secured the first Ascot success in the Group 3 Queen’s Vase at this meeting last year for jockey Ryan Moore, who also rode her to victory in a Group 3 here on May 1 – her sole start of the season.
“She is bred to run over this distance and most flat horses aren’t bred to do what they are doing over this trip anyway,” said John Warren, the Queen’s racing manager, after her last win.
“Through her male line and female line it is true stamina on both sides. If anything is bred to do it, she is amongst them.
“Whatever runs in an Ascot Gold Cup will inevitably be freakish horses as they are not bred to do it, so she has got every chance of staying further.”
You may also want to watch:
Earlier, the Group 2 Ribblesdale Stakes at 3.05pm can go to The Lark, who finished third in the Investec Oaks and can secure a big prize today. In other races, Society Rock is fancied for the Group 1 Diamond Jubilee Stakes on Saturday.
Simon Jackson is a freelance racing journalist based in north west London. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for press and PR enquiries, or racing/betting related news stories and features.
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 8 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill