Hornsey fire: Three rescued after Birkbeck Road flats fire ‘caused by unattended candles’
- Credit: Archant
Wednesday evening saw firefighters forced to rescue three people from the upper floors of a Hornsey block of flats after an unattended candle sparked a blaze.
The fire, in a second floor flat on Birkbeck Road, is believed to have started when the candles set bedding alight.
One man escaped from the flat in question uninjured, with a total of 30 people fleeing the block themselves.
A woman living on the second floor had to be rescued from a window by the fire brigade, and two others were rescued using an internal staircase.
Firefighters were called to the blaze at 9.02pm, and it was under control shortly before 11.
You may also want to watch:
Hornsey station manager Gary Wilson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”
One woman and a child were taken to hospital by the ambulance service as a precaution.
- 1 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 4 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 5 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 6 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 7 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 10 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
Were you affected by the blaze? Call the newsdesk on 020 7433 0120 or contact Sam.Volpe@Archant.co.uk.