Hornsey and Wood Green MP Lynne Featherstone lands government role
LOCAL MP for Hornsey and Wood Green Lynne Featherstone has been handed a ministerial post in the new coalition government. She will be the Under Secretary of State for Equalities in the Home Office, after acting as the Lib Dems Shadow Equalities spokeswom
LOCAL MP for Hornsey and Wood Green Lynne Featherstone has been handed a ministerial post in the new coalition government.
She will be the Under Secretary of State for Equalities in the Home Office, after acting as the Lib Dems Shadow Equalities spokeswoman for the last two years.
The MP for Hornsey and Wood Green will work under Conservative Home Secretary Theresa May, who is also Minister for Women and Equality.
Ms Featherstone says "the chance to deliver Liberal Democrat equality policy is phenomenal."
You may also want to watch:
Writing on her regular blog, she pipped Number 10 to the post by saying: "When I got the news last night that I was appointed Under Secretary of State for Equalities (Home Office Minister) it didn't really sink in as to what that really meant.
"This morning - lying in the bath thinking about the portfolio - I realised that this is a huge opportunity to change things for the better.
- 1 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 2 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 7 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 8 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 9 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 10 Westminster Council shelves Paddington Rec cycling plans
"I will be able to do - not just to say.
"For two years as Shadow Equalities spokesperson - through the Equality Bill, through countless speeches to groups, through our conference policy papers on Women and Youth - it has always been about what Lib Dems would do about equality if we were in government. Blimey - we are!
"Now I can deliver it - well some of it.
"Equalities was not in that first tier agreement released by Liberal Democrats and Conservatives prior to coalition - but it will be part of the second tier agreement I believe.
"So - today will find out the lie of the land - but the chance to deliver Liberal Democrat equality policy is phenomenal.
"Will I get our whole agenda agreed - well I might - but there are a few things I can see causing ructions - but I am optimistic about most of it. Hurrah!