Hornsey and Wood Green MP blasts government for ‘appalling lack of action’ over Syrian refugees
MP Catherine West has blasted the government for an “appalling lack of action” over Syrian refugees.
In a statement today, the MP for Hornsey and Wood Green MP said she was confident there would be an urgent debate about the migration crisis.
She said: “This country has a proud history of helping people fleeing persecution, yet only a 216 Syrian refugees have been resettled under the Government’s current vulnerable persons relocation scheme.
“I agree that the UK must do more to offer help to those who are certified as refugees, and I hope the Government will work with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in this area.
“I am confident an urgent debate will be called when Parliament resumes on Monday, which of course I will be attending.
You may also want to watch:
“I have also tabled a number of Parliamentary Questions to the Prime Minister and Secretaries of State for International Development and Foreign Affairs to give demand details of the action they will take to address this desperate situation.
“I will continue to follow this issue very carefully and hold the government to account for their appalling lack of action.”
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 8 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill