Hornsey and Wood Green MP blasts government for ‘appalling lack of action’ over Syrian refugees
MP Catherine West has blasted the government for an “appalling lack of action” over Syrian refugees.
In a statement today, the MP for Hornsey and Wood Green MP said she was confident there would be an urgent debate about the migration crisis.
She said: “This country has a proud history of helping people fleeing persecution, yet only a 216 Syrian refugees have been resettled under the Government’s current vulnerable persons relocation scheme.
“I agree that the UK must do more to offer help to those who are certified as refugees, and I hope the Government will work with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in this area.
“I am confident an urgent debate will be called when Parliament resumes on Monday, which of course I will be attending.
You may also want to watch:
“I have also tabled a number of Parliamentary Questions to the Prime Minister and Secretaries of State for International Development and Foreign Affairs to give demand details of the action they will take to address this desperate situation.
“I will continue to follow this issue very carefully and hold the government to account for their appalling lack of action.”
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 3 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 4 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 5 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 6 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 7 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 8 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 9 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 10 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late