Holocaust survivors honoured in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Holocaust survivors awarded New Year’s Honours celebrated their accolades at the a Holocaust Survivors Centre in Golders Green.
Seven of the ten survivors recognised in the Queen’s Honours for their services to Holocaust education and awareness attended an afternoon tea at the Jewish Care.
They were joined by the Cllr Mark Shooter, the Mayor of Barnet, Sally Sealey from the Department of Local Government and Communities along with staff and volunteers of the Jewish Centre.
Susan Pollack, from Temple Fortune, received an MBE for her services to Holocaust Education and awareness, along with Agnes Grunwald-Spier, of Golders Green, former Trustee of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust.
Ivor Perl, Lilly Ebert, Jack Kagan, Freddie Knoller, Zygmunt Shipper, Rene Salt and Rudi Oppenheimer all received BEMs for services to Holocaust Education and awareness.
You may also want to watch:
Lilly Ebert, also from Golders Green, spoke at the event, saying: “Why do we have to talk about the Holocaust?
“Because it was highly educated people who did this. We must teach our children tolerance and that if somebody is different they are not better or worse than us.”
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 'People are scared to come out', say Hampstead coffee shops
- 5 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 6 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 7 Arsenal agree to terminate contract of defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 10 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
Aviva Trup, Manager of Jewish Care’s Holocaust Survivors’ Centre, added: “The Honours recognise the commitment to Holocaust education and awareness, which the survivors have shown by sharing their experiences from the Holocaust tirelessly with others for many years.
“We are glad to have the opportunity to celebrate their achievement.”