Holocaust survivors honoured in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Holocaust survivors awarded New Year’s Honours celebrated their accolades at the a Holocaust Survivors Centre in Golders Green.
Seven of the ten survivors recognised in the Queen’s Honours for their services to Holocaust education and awareness attended an afternoon tea at the Jewish Care.
They were joined by the Cllr Mark Shooter, the Mayor of Barnet, Sally Sealey from the Department of Local Government and Communities along with staff and volunteers of the Jewish Centre.
Susan Pollack, from Temple Fortune, received an MBE for her services to Holocaust Education and awareness, along with Agnes Grunwald-Spier, of Golders Green, former Trustee of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust.
Ivor Perl, Lilly Ebert, Jack Kagan, Freddie Knoller, Zygmunt Shipper, Rene Salt and Rudi Oppenheimer all received BEMs for services to Holocaust Education and awareness.
You may also want to watch:
Lilly Ebert, also from Golders Green, spoke at the event, saying: “Why do we have to talk about the Holocaust?
“Because it was highly educated people who did this. We must teach our children tolerance and that if somebody is different they are not better or worse than us.”
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 5 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 8 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 9 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 10 'The flood took everything': Maida Vale family watched floods destroy home
Aviva Trup, Manager of Jewish Care’s Holocaust Survivors’ Centre, added: “The Honours recognise the commitment to Holocaust education and awareness, which the survivors have shown by sharing their experiences from the Holocaust tirelessly with others for many years.
“We are glad to have the opportunity to celebrate their achievement.”