Holocaust survivors honoured in Golders Green
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Holocaust survivors awarded New Year’s Honours celebrated their accolades at the a Holocaust Survivors Centre in Golders Green.
Seven of the ten survivors recognised in the Queen’s Honours for their services to Holocaust education and awareness attended an afternoon tea at the Jewish Care.
They were joined by the Cllr Mark Shooter, the Mayor of Barnet, Sally Sealey from the Department of Local Government and Communities along with staff and volunteers of the Jewish Centre.
Susan Pollack, from Temple Fortune, received an MBE for her services to Holocaust Education and awareness, along with Agnes Grunwald-Spier, of Golders Green, former Trustee of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust.
Ivor Perl, Lilly Ebert, Jack Kagan, Freddie Knoller, Zygmunt Shipper, Rene Salt and Rudi Oppenheimer all received BEMs for services to Holocaust Education and awareness.
Lilly Ebert, also from Golders Green, spoke at the event, saying: “Why do we have to talk about the Holocaust?
“Because it was highly educated people who did this. We must teach our children tolerance and that if somebody is different they are not better or worse than us.”
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 3 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 4 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 5 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 6 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 7 3,000 new council homes for Haringey over next ten years
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
Aviva Trup, Manager of Jewish Care’s Holocaust Survivors’ Centre, added: “The Honours recognise the commitment to Holocaust education and awareness, which the survivors have shown by sharing their experiences from the Holocaust tirelessly with others for many years.
“We are glad to have the opportunity to celebrate their achievement.”