Holborn Station evacuated earlier this morning after smoke appeared from the carriages
- Credit: Archant
Holborn Underground station was evacuated during rush hour this morning after reports of a ‘loud bang’ and smoke coming out of the carriages.
London Fire Brigade said they had sent two fire engines to the scene at 9:09am and commuters were asked to leave the station immediately. The westbound Central line was closed and a TFL spokesperson said they were dealing with a ‘faulty train’.
The incident was declared safe at 9:58am.
Video: Twitter: @abersentia
It turns out the reason for the smoke was an overheated compressor on a train, according to the Fire Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin O’Donnell wrote on Twitter: ‘Just been evacuated from Holborn tube station. Fire alert, according to the news. Fair play to station staff for getting everyone out calmly’.
This evacuation came just four days after Oxford Circus became engulfed in smoke on a Bakerloo line train.
- 1 Northern Line tube 'assault': CCTV images released of two women
- 2 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 3 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 4 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 5 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time
- 8 Jailed: Man who murdered friend Jack Ampadu in Kentish Town
- 9 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 10 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'