Historic moment at Maida Vale school
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school. The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George s on Lanark Road last Frida
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school.
The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George's on Lanark Road last Friday.
More than 300 people turned up to hear the great orator speak and according to local MP Karen Buck, who invited Jackson to the school, they were not disappointed.
She said: "You could see why he's a reverend. It wasn't a political speech - it was very motivational about self-help.
You may also want to watch:
"I chose St George's because it has just been named the most improved school in London and it was entirely appropriate.
"He talked about people coming from a disadvantaged background and achieving so much. The audience's response, which wasn't solely black but was mostly black or ethnic minorities, was hugely positive.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 3 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 4 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 5 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Prince Philip remembered in pictures: London Zoo visits and trips to the theatre
- 7 This destruction of a woodland site must be halted
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Revealed: How council paid £23m for an office block valued at £10m
- 10 Camden men jailed for rape of teenager targeted by Tube station