Historic moment at Maida Vale school
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school. The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George s on Lanark Road last Frida
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school.
The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George's on Lanark Road last Friday.
More than 300 people turned up to hear the great orator speak and according to local MP Karen Buck, who invited Jackson to the school, they were not disappointed.
She said: "You could see why he's a reverend. It wasn't a political speech - it was very motivational about self-help.
You may also want to watch:
"I chose St George's because it has just been named the most improved school in London and it was entirely appropriate.
"He talked about people coming from a disadvantaged background and achieving so much. The audience's response, which wasn't solely black but was mostly black or ethnic minorities, was hugely positive.
- 1 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 2 Royal Free's critical care beds 98pc full as Covid-19 cases top 500
- 3 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 6 Camden man charged with prostitution offences and sexual exploitation
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Royal Mail delays in Hornsey 'could see Covid-19 vaccination letters missed'
- 9 One in ten people without symptoms Covid positive at Haringey centres
- 10 Billy Vunipola fails to impress as Saracens lose to Ealing