Historic moment at Maida Vale school
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school. The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George s on Lanark Road last Frida
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school.
The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George's on Lanark Road last Friday.
More than 300 people turned up to hear the great orator speak and according to local MP Karen Buck, who invited Jackson to the school, they were not disappointed.
She said: "You could see why he's a reverend. It wasn't a political speech - it was very motivational about self-help.
You may also want to watch:
"I chose St George's because it has just been named the most improved school in London and it was entirely appropriate.
"He talked about people coming from a disadvantaged background and achieving so much. The audience's response, which wasn't solely black but was mostly black or ethnic minorities, was hugely positive.
- 1 Man in hospital after stabbing in Crouch End
- 2 Cyclist dies after Crouch End car door crash, police appeal for witnesses
- 3 Wounded Crouch End pensioner 'shaken up' after zebra crossing collision
- 4 Jimmy C obituary: Crouch End blues musician who 'brought so much love'
- 5 Camden Town Brewery's new Bavarian Beer Hall opens in Kentish Town
- 6 What Paulo Fonseca means for Tottenham Hotspur?
- 7 Covid-19 Delta variant cases rising in north London
- 8 New headteachers at Harris Academy St John's Wood and Camden School for Girls
- 9 Stephen Mangan's first book is a family affair
- 10 Rift over nursery plan for play area outside of Hornsey block