Historic moment at Maida Vale school
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school. The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George s on Lanark Road last Frida
US political firebrand Reverend Jesse Jackson gave a rousing speech to a rapt audience of parents and pupils at a Maida Vale secondary school.
The American civil rights campaigner made a much-anticipated appearance at St George's on Lanark Road last Friday.
More than 300 people turned up to hear the great orator speak and according to local MP Karen Buck, who invited Jackson to the school, they were not disappointed.
She said: "You could see why he's a reverend. It wasn't a political speech - it was very motivational about self-help.
You may also want to watch:
"I chose St George's because it has just been named the most improved school in London and it was entirely appropriate.
"He talked about people coming from a disadvantaged background and achieving so much. The audience's response, which wasn't solely black but was mostly black or ethnic minorities, was hugely positive.
- 1 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 2 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 3 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
- 4 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 5 Four charged following reports of antisemitism in St John's Wood
- 6 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 7 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 9 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath