Historic ice cream parlour and restaurant Marine Ices sold by Italian family
- Credit: Archant
A much-loved restaurant and ice cream parlour in Chalk Farm has been sold by the Italian family which started it more than 80 years ago.
The premises of Marine Ices, in Haverstock Hill, has been sold by the Mansi family to Ponti’s Italian Kitchen, a company run by the Ispanis, another Italian family.
The purchase brings Ponti’s its first north London restaurant, but the company will retain the Marine Ices name for the restaurant.
The Mansi family has not produced its own ice cream at the Chalk Farm restaurant since last May when the Marine Ices ice cream brand was sold to Criterion Ices Ltd in Suffolk, although the ice cream has continued to be sold at the restaurant.
Ponti’s will also continue to serve the ice cream for which the restaurant is so well-known in the community.
Dante Mansi, former chairman of Marine Ices, said: “With regard to Ponti’s, they have simply taken over the premises at Chalk Farm and will still be selling Marine Ices ice cream there as it has been for the past 82 years, along with their own food offering.
“They wanted a presence in north London, and we as a family were ready to retire from the restaurant business.”
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 5 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 6 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 9 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
Ponti’s CEO Stefano Ispani said: “We were delighted and honoured when the Mansi family contacted us with a view to taking over their restaurant at Chalk Farm.
“On retiring from the business, the Mansi family wanted to ensure that Marine Ices remained in safe hands, so both families sat down to see what could be done to ensure this happened.”
Marine Ices was established by Gaetano Mansi in 1931, who came to England from Italy in 1900, and continued by generations of the Mansi family.