Historian returns to Golders Green to talk about secret Holocaust intelligence after whirlwind six months
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A Golders Green researcher who discovered dark secrets about the British intelligence services during the Second World War has been featured in print and on TV – but the Ham&High was the first to reveal the shocking truth.
Dr Helen Fry found out that MI5 and MI6 knew about the Holocaust during the conflict because intelligence services had bugged tens of thousands of German prisoners of war. But in a dark twist, they chose not to provide this evidence to the Nazi war-crimes trials.
Dr Fry made the discovery by trawling through hundreds of documents declassified in 1999.
Since the Ham&High broke the story in December, it has been featured on the BBC and Channel 4, and will be on ITV and in the Radio Times later this week.
Dr Fry first spoke out about her findings at the London Jewish Cultural Centre (LJCC) in North End Road, Golders Green.
You may also want to watch:
She returns there on Tuesday, July 16, to give a lecture about the so-called M Room at Trent Park and Latimer House, where German émigrés helped British intelligence listen in on enemy prisoners of war. Fritz Lustig, one of the so-called secret listeners, will also be speaking.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 7 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike