Highgate Tesco Express named as one of the dirtiest stores in the country
- Credit: Archant
The Tesco Express store in Highgate’s Swains Lane has been named and shamed as one of the dirtiest in the country.
The shop is one of 14 to be given a zero rating by hygiene inspectors which means it fell dramatically short of hygiene guidellines and that “urgent improvement is necessary,”
The data, rating 11,000 supermarkets throughout the UK, was submitted to the Food Standards Agency by local authority inspectors and shows scores given to the stores the last time they were visited.
As reported in the Ham & High, the Swain’s Lane store was shut on April 27 after a rodent infestation.
At the time, staff thoroughly cleaned the shop and put more pest control measures in place to prevent a future infestation.
You may also want to watch:
A Tesco spokesman said today: “We take the hygiene standards in our stores very seriously and receive the best possible food hygiene ratings in the vast majority of our stores.
“Earlier this year, we voluntarily closed our Swain’s Lane Express store for two days to deal with a pest issue. We cooperated fully with the local authority officers and the store conditions have now vastly improved.”
- 1 'Auto-destruction' in a train shed: how the Roundhouse made Camden cool
- 2 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 3 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 4 Hampstead bakery sells challah hearts for Mental Health Awareness Week
- 5 British fencing great Richard Kruse announces retirement
- 6 Reader letter: Rubbish bins in Camden need 'levelling up'
- 7 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
- 8 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 9 Bishopwood Bowling Club hopes to create new image for the sport
- 10 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
A spokeswoman from Camden council confirmed that this Tesco branch had last been inspected on April 15 following a complaint from the member of the public.