Highgate Stationers and Printers owner on twinning Highgate with Zanzibar
Ammar Chomoko, 31, took over from his father as owner of Highgate Stationers and Printers in Highgate Village five years ago.
What is the area’s best kept secret? The best kept secret in Highgate is the Waterlow Park. You get as breathtaking a view of central London as those observed from Parliament Hill, but less congested.
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate? I would twin Highgate with Zanzibar. Their narrow streets, local characters and the charm of both towns make them almost identical – apart from the fact that Highgate doesn’t have a beach!
What’s the best memory you have of the area? I have been coming to Highgate for many years, since I was very young, to help my father in the business, as well as the community spirit.
If you were editor of the Ham&High for a day, what local issue would you champion? Parking is a big issue – because [the councils] have taken parking away, there are less customers coming in through the doors.
What would you change about Highgate? Highgate is perfect, I would not change anything.
How would you spend your perfect Sunday in Highgate? Going out for coffee and lunch at a restaurant and a stroll in the park.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 3 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 4 Camden councillors set to give themselves a pay rise
- 5 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 6 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 7 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 8 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 9 Five bedroom Arts and Crafts style house with landscaped garden in Muswell Hill/East Finchley borders
- 10 Crouch End Festival: 'Back with a bang bigger than ever'
What tips would you give to somebody moving to the area? Come to Highgate Stationers, where will you find all your household needs from airers to zip locks.
How has Highgate changed since you moved into the area? Highgate has never changed, it is still very close to the local community.
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met? My mother, under whose feet lies heaven.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say? The search goes on...
Ammar Chomoko was in conversation with Imogen Blake