Highgate Stationers and Printers owner on twinning Highgate with Zanzibar
Ammar Chomoko, 31, took over from his father as owner of Highgate Stationers and Printers in Highgate Village five years ago.
What is the area’s best kept secret? The best kept secret in Highgate is the Waterlow Park. You get as breathtaking a view of central London as those observed from Parliament Hill, but less congested.
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate? I would twin Highgate with Zanzibar. Their narrow streets, local characters and the charm of both towns make them almost identical – apart from the fact that Highgate doesn’t have a beach!
What’s the best memory you have of the area? I have been coming to Highgate for many years, since I was very young, to help my father in the business, as well as the community spirit.
If you were editor of the Ham&High for a day, what local issue would you champion? Parking is a big issue – because [the councils] have taken parking away, there are less customers coming in through the doors.
You may also want to watch:
What would you change about Highgate? Highgate is perfect, I would not change anything.
How would you spend your perfect Sunday in Highgate? Going out for coffee and lunch at a restaurant and a stroll in the park.
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 3 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 4 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 5 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 6 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
- 7 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 8 Man charged with Haringey murder and victim named
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 'We can't afford it': Camden foodbank prepares for spike in demand
What tips would you give to somebody moving to the area? Come to Highgate Stationers, where will you find all your household needs from airers to zip locks.
How has Highgate changed since you moved into the area? Highgate has never changed, it is still very close to the local community.
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met? My mother, under whose feet lies heaven.
If you had to write your own epitaph what would it say? The search goes on...
Ammar Chomoko was in conversation with Imogen Blake