Highgate Society treasurer and Big Four accountant on swapping Deloitte and KPMG for Highgate
What brought you to Highgate? My business partner Sang, who is a corporate lawyer, was looking for a small business to invest in and she set up a hair salon. The premises next door was empty and it seemed like a great opportunity. After much deliberation, I thought, why not. I haven’t got children or a mortgage to worry about. Better do it now before that happens. It is a friendly area with a village feel, still accessible by clients in the city and other areas, thanks to the Tube station and good parking in the area.
What’s the best memory you have of the area? For me it has to be the launch party for my accounting firm last year.
What is the area’s best kept secret? I love the tea and atmosphere at High Tea in the village.
What would you change about Highgate? The property prices. It would be nice if it was a bit more accessible.
If you were editor of the Ham&High for a day, what local issue would you champion? Sustainable development in the area to increase the number of reasonably priced homes for young people.
You may also want to watch:
Who is the most inspiring person you have ever met? I have an uncle who has just retired. His youthful outlook, curiosity and kindness even after a challenging life is a great inspiration to me. I hope that when I am that old, I have the same attitude to life.
What makes you smile on your way home? Catching a bit of sunshine or a nice sunset.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 4 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 5 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 8 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 9 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
- 10 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
How would you spend your perfect Sunday in Highgate? A leisurely walk through the woods.
Where in the world would you twin with Highgate? Didn’t they stop twinning cities after the 1960s?
If you had to write your own epitaph, what would it say? His body lies here, but his ideas and influence live on.
Kabir Ali was in conversation with Imogen Blake.