Highgate schoolgirl in running for Trafalgar Square plinth
A HIGHGATE schoolgirl could be the brains behind Trafalgar Square s fourth plinth. Isabel Aram-Walker, aged 10, from Brookfield School in Chester Road, has won a borough-wide competition asking children to make a model for the landmark square. Her polar b
A HIGHGATE schoolgirl could be the brains behind Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth.
Isabel Aram-Walker, aged 10, from Brookfield School in Chester Road, has won a borough-wide competition asking children to make a model for the landmark square.
Her polar bear on a melting iceberg signifies the threat of global warming and has now earned her a place in a City Hall exhibition of the winning entries from each borough.
"I was shocked to have won but excited because I really enjoy doing art," said Isabel. "I wanted to do something on global warming because it keeps getting worse and I wanted people to recognise that and try to do something to help."
You may also want to watch:
Isabel will be at City Hall tomorrow to collect an award for her efforts, before an overall winner is picked.
Inclusion manager at her school Polly Bradford said: "We went to Trafalgar Square and looked at the space before they started work on their ideas. It was nice because they were just exploring - no-one told them what to do or what materials to use so it was a complete experiment. We are very excited that Isabel won in Camden."
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 3 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 4 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 5 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 6 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes set for approval by Camden Council – again
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 9 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 10 Call for answers after flood 'destroyed parents' love letters and vinyl records'
Pictured is Isabel with her winning entry.