Highgate School scoops double gong at Times Educational Supplement awards ceremony
- Credit: Archant
Highgate School has been named Senior School of the Year and Independent School of the Year at a Times Educational Supplement (TES) awards ceremony.
Judges at the event on February 7 were impressed by the school's "academic innovation", its role in co-founding the London Academy of Excellence in Tottenham and "record-breaking" success in public exams.
Projects which drew praise included 'Maths Jam' - where sixth-formers and teachers delivered mini talks - and 'English 21', where staff selected 21 novels for pupils to read during their senior school years to promote a culture of reading.
Headteacher Adam Pettitt said: "It's difficult to imagine how one could be prouder of the school than I am at this moment.
"We have tried to make sure that - while being a place with a sense of community and pride within - we link in to what is outside us."
You may also want to watch:
The judging panel called the school "a safe, happy and exciting place that provides a nurturing environment that encourages academic excellence and personal development".
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 8 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 9 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour