Highgate's Pond Square has become a parking nightmare
The area in and around Pond Square, Highgate, is probably one of the most congested areas of Camden in terms of car parking. This situation has been made far worse by the drivers of the local mini cab office either parking their vehicles in residents park
The area in and around Pond Square, Highgate, is probably one of the most congested areas of Camden in terms of car parking.
This situation has been made far worse by the drivers of the local mini cab office either parking their vehicles in residents parking bays, or parking on double yellow lines which disabled drivers are allowed to park on (when displaying the appropriate documentation).
When we approached the owner of the mini cab office, he showed scant regard for Pond Square residents who are, it has to be said, many of his customers.
However, in response to our letter to The Highgate Society about the problem, Gordon Forbes, their chairman, confirmed in response that: "The Highgate Society is reluctant to cause difficulties for any local trader going about his lawful business, particularly in these economically difficult times."
Perhaps, if Mr Forbes actually lived in Pond Square rather than a third of a mile away with off- street parking, he might take the matter more seriously?
It seems to me that Mr Forbes and the Highgate Society are more interested in petty planning issues rather than addressing matters of real concern to local residents.
- 1 Man files complaint following 'unlawful arrest' by police officers
- 2 First Muslim lord mayor of Westminster announced
- 3 Golders Green school rated 'inadequate' for second time
- 4 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 5 'It's a lovely community': The Bull reopens under new management
- 6 Camden, Westminster raids as 14 arrested in sex trafficking warrants
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 Man accused of sexual assaults in Camden and Islington bailed
- 9 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 10 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
JEFFREY S SALMON