Highgate royal visit: Prince Edward to open Channing School’s new building
- Credit: PA WIRE
A top-performing Highgate private school’s £13million new sports and sixth-form centre will be officially opened by Prince Edward today.
His Royal Highness the Earl of Wessex – the youngest child of the Queen the Prince Philip – will visit Channing School in The Bank later this afternoon to meet headteacher Barbara Elliott, governors and the senior leadership team.
He will then talk with senior school pupils working on their Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, before unveiling a plaque to commemorate the visit and watching a concert performed by pupils.
Mrs Elliott said: “We were very proud that HRH The Earl of Wessex accepted our invitation to open our new sports and sixth-form centre, which is already providing an outstanding learning environment for our pupils.
“Channing School has an unusually high percentage of pupils participating in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme.
You may also want to watch:
“Our pupils demonstrate real commitment and resilience throughout the challenging bronze, silver and gold awards, and I am sure the ‘gold girls’ being presented today will be inspired and encouraged by the visit of HRH the Earl of Wessex.”
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 3 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 4 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 5 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 6 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 7 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 8 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
- 9 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again