Highgate royal visit: Prince Edward to open Channing School’s new building
- Credit: PA WIRE
A top-performing Highgate private school’s £13million new sports and sixth-form centre will be officially opened by Prince Edward today.
His Royal Highness the Earl of Wessex – the youngest child of the Queen the Prince Philip – will visit Channing School in The Bank later this afternoon to meet headteacher Barbara Elliott, governors and the senior leadership team.
He will then talk with senior school pupils working on their Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, before unveiling a plaque to commemorate the visit and watching a concert performed by pupils.
Mrs Elliott said: “We were very proud that HRH The Earl of Wessex accepted our invitation to open our new sports and sixth-form centre, which is already providing an outstanding learning environment for our pupils.
“Channing School has an unusually high percentage of pupils participating in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme.
You may also want to watch:
“Our pupils demonstrate real commitment and resilience throughout the challenging bronze, silver and gold awards, and I am sure the ‘gold girls’ being presented today will be inspired and encouraged by the visit of HRH the Earl of Wessex.”
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill
- 3 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 4 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 5 Christmas at Kenwood light trail gets go-ahead
- 6 'Bravery and courage': Fred Barnes plaque unveiled in Maida Vale
- 7 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 10 Heroic walker who raised thousands for charity dies aged 101