Highgate royal visit: Prince Edward to open Channing School’s new building
- Credit: PA WIRE
A top-performing Highgate private school’s £13million new sports and sixth-form centre will be officially opened by Prince Edward today.
His Royal Highness the Earl of Wessex – the youngest child of the Queen the Prince Philip – will visit Channing School in The Bank later this afternoon to meet headteacher Barbara Elliott, governors and the senior leadership team.
He will then talk with senior school pupils working on their Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, before unveiling a plaque to commemorate the visit and watching a concert performed by pupils.
Mrs Elliott said: “We were very proud that HRH The Earl of Wessex accepted our invitation to open our new sports and sixth-form centre, which is already providing an outstanding learning environment for our pupils.
“Channing School has an unusually high percentage of pupils participating in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programme.
You may also want to watch:
“Our pupils demonstrate real commitment and resilience throughout the challenging bronze, silver and gold awards, and I am sure the ‘gold girls’ being presented today will be inspired and encouraged by the visit of HRH the Earl of Wessex.”
- 1 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 4 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 5 Mary Feilding Guild: New Highgate owner claims 'widespread Legionella'
- 6 'He was mesmerising': Barney Hoskyns on Prince, five years on
- 7 Camden Council seeks to honour Covid-19 pandemic heroes
- 8 HIV 'progress is stalling' says Royal Free doctor who consulted on It's A Sin
- 9 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 10 Arguments over Heath impact of homes in Jack Straw's Castle car park