Highgate red phonebox could become miniature office space
- Credit: Archant
A historic red phone box in Highgate Village could soon be a tiny office space, complete with printing, scanning, copying and wifi
People could then apply to use the “office pod” at the top of Waterlow Park.
Externally, the phone box will stay a royal red, and the shape will not be extended, under plans lodged with Camden Council.
The Highgate BT phone box was transferred to Thinking Outside the Box, which is putting in applications for tiny office phone boxes across the country. It launched its first office space in Russell Square, WC1.
Agent Miles Broe, an architect, said the scheme allowed for practical use at the time as “preserving heritage” - preventing the phone box from being sent to the scrap heap.
You may also want to watch:
A group formed from the Highgate Society and the Highgate Neighbourhood Forum is looking after seven fully functioning red phone boxes in Highgate.
Lawyer Andrew Sulston said the group was disappointed that the phone box near Waterlow Park has stood empty and bolted up for over a year after being transferred to Thinking Outside the Box.
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 8 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 9 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 10 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
He said: “We welcome any good use of a phone box but will need to look at the plans carefully. Our strong view is that any alternative use for a phone box needs to be a good fit for the local area.
“So views of traders and shoppers on the High Street will be important.
“What will ‘office use’ really mean? Thinking Outside the Box is based in Brighton but we would like to discuss all of this with them.
“Meanwhile we continue to look after our much loved working phone boxes.”