Highgate pubgoers swear on the horns for Muswell Hill charity
WHETHER they wanted to kiss the fairest maiden in the pub, kick a pig out of a ditch, or just raise funds for a local charity, scores of pubgoers this weekend took part in an ancient swearing ceremony in Highgate. The Swearing on the Horns, a traditional
WHETHER they wanted to kiss the fairest maiden in the pub, kick a pig out of a ditch, or just raise funds for a local charity, scores of pubgoers this weekend took part in an ancient swearing ceremony in Highgate.
The Swearing on the Horns, a traditional 17th century custom from when the area was a stopping place for stagecoachers and cattle drivers, has for the last 40 years been run by Hornsey Round Table to raise funds for the London Centre for Children with Cerebral Palsy in Muswell Hill.
Privileges once you've paid a 'fine' for the swearing include kissing said fairest maiden and taking the pigs place in any local ditch - more than 60 people took their chance to do so at the Flask pub on Saturday night.
Round Table member and trustee at the charity John Martin said: "It was very good - we raised more than we have ever done before - �199.84.
You may also want to watch:
"It's a unique event, it's actually an old custom from the local area and we always try to make the events a bit fun."
Marc Crank, CEO at Muswell Hill centre said: "We are very grateful to Hornsey Round Table for organising this unique fundraiser and to The Flask for hosting such a fun event.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 10 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
"Most of all, we thank in advance all new Freeman of Highgate for paying a 'fine'. Their donations will go towards funding our services as we begin a new academic year in September.